1) Kadala ( Whole black Gram Dal) – 1 cup , soaked overnight
2) Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
3) Yellow Onion – 1 Big , halved and thinly sliced
4) Green Chilly – 4 , slitted
5) Ginger – 1 tsp, finely chopped
6) Tomato – 1 , finely chopped
7) Potato – 1 small , cubed
8) Meat Masala – 3 tsp ( If you don’t have meat masala mix 1/2 tsp Garam Masala, 1/2 tsp red chilly powder and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and use this)
9) Curry Leaves – 3 sprigs
10) Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
11) Bay leaves – few
12) Flat Cinnamon sticks – 2
13) Sliced coconut pieces – 2 tbsp
Cooking Method for Kadala:
Pressure cook soaked kadala with 1/2 of dry masala powder , cinnamon sticks , bay leaves , few slices of onion, 2 green chilly, 1/4 tsp chopped ginger and enough salt.
Once kadala is cooked, add chopped tomato , cubed potato to this and cook. Once all vegetables are cooked, turn off heat.
Heat some oil in a pan and roast grated coconut till it turns golden brown. Grind this to a fine paste and keep this aside.
Add sliced onion to the remaining oil and fry till it is transparent.
Add slitted green chilly,chopped ginger, coconut pieces and curry leaves and saute.
Add remaining dry masala powder and saute. Add more oil if needed.
Transfer cooked kadala to this and cook covered till gravy thicken.
Add roasted ground coconut to this and cook for few more minutes.